Thursday, January 25, 2007

Harpo, Chico, Groucho and Sometimes Zeppo

Rumor has it that Zeppo, though always the straight man who fell in love with the film's engenue before removing himself to become the group's manager, was actually the funniest Marx of them all.

Now, I love the Marx brothers, especially Harpo, and I find them pretty much hilarious as it is. So to hear that one of them was even funnier? Now, this I gotta see!

Unfortunately, I can't. Because they're all dead. And for some reason, the supposedly funniest one of them all never had a single funny thing caught on film for sad little laugh mongers in the future like me.

Why was he relegated to the sidelines? Was it because he was the most conventionally handsome, and so could not possibly be funny? I guess in the 30s, you had to be ugly to be funny. But because they were funny, the more popular Marxes are made just as lovely, don't you think?*

And now I am suddenly sad about the best writer who no one will ever read, or the best actor who will never get cast in anything (incidentally, Private Jokes, Public Places has not been cast yet...I'm supposed to get a call either way when that happens), or the sweetest music that no one will ever hear. Also about the love of my life, who I will never meet and who will never meet me.

Maybe I've been reading too much Shakespeare to not be morose. Too bad I've got to wait until tomorrow for the next episode of the A-Team to wipe the slate clean.




* - Well really, I'm only referring to Harpo and Chico when I say that. Groucho wasn't that funny. And therefore...

No comments: